Sketches

Thursday 9 November 2017

Funeral day

Today we had the funeral of my mother in law, Agnes Abbink-Peukens.
We celebrated Holy Mass in the old Roman Catholic church of Hoensbroek. The church she used to go to each Sunday. May she rest in peace.
I made this sketch of the small commemorative table in the nursing home, where she spent the last years of her file.
The little poem (the last sentences of a longer poem, about Alzheimer disease, by Anja Messemaker) goes like this:
"Please remember me how I used to be.
Then you remember that I still recognize you.
Please remember me how I used to be.
And not how I eventually became."

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law, Rene. Thanks you for this sketch and the poem, which I'll remember.

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Beth for the kind remarks. :)