Sketches

Friday 9 March 2018

Stein

A quick sketch of a shed in Stein. 10-15 minutes at most. Not an Urban sketch, I saw this scene during my weekly Friday run (only 8 km this time). A cowshed, on a muddy path near the canal. No way that you could get near this place by car of bike. And when running I don't carry sketch gear. So I took a picture, and drew it at home.

It's the grey season, the frost is gone, and you can smell that the nature is ready for the first days with temperatures of double digits. Can't wait.
On request by Michael: the picture I took.

3 comments:

Michael Lukyniuk said...

The colours and atmosphere of this sketch coneys the end of winter very well. Scenes like this, where the weather is less than ideal, are best done in the way you did - a quick photo followed by a sketch hours later. This method still captures the essence of the scene while affording some comfort for the artist. It might be interesting to see the initial photo. Sometimes the sketch is a better rendering of the scene. Nice posting.

Rene Fijten said...

On your request, I added the picture. I understand your point, and as I was running I did not carry sketching gear, but I always prefer to draw on location. Even if it's cold.

Michael Lukyniuk said...

Ah-ha. Verrry interesting. From your sketch, I thought that the fields were still snowbound. (In our countryside, its still mostly decaying snow but in some areas its grassy.) I think you did a great job in portraying the fence, tree and barn. Its a nice glimpse of a hidden landscape.